Just ask anyone what they would like to do first thing, on arriving in Hyderabad, and you would probably hear them blurt out “Hyderabadi Biryani”. Yes, everyone who love and relish a Non-vegetarian biryani would want to try out the Hyderabad Chicken Dum Biryani first.
And we want to make that happen for you as well and you do not need to be in Hyderabad to relish a delicious plate of Chicken Biryani for we have the recipe here for you. You can make this yourself at home and if there are guests visiting, then what better than cooking this traditional Hyderabad dish at home!
Fun Fact: This is believed to have originated from the Kitchens of the Nizam of Hyderabad of the historic Hyderabad State as a blend of Mughlai and Iranian cuisine. Source: en.wikipedia.org,
Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
- ½ Kg Chicken (cut into large pieces)
- 1½ tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons Oil
Curd Mixture for Chicken
- 1 cup Curd (Yogurt)
- 2 Nos. Bay Leaves
- 1 No Biryani Flower
- 1 No Star Anise
- 5 Nos Cloves
- 1 No 2" Cinnamon stick
- 4 Nos Green Cardamom
- 1 No Black Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Shahi Jeera
Cooking the Chicken
- 2 Nos Onions (cut into slices & deep fried to Golden Brown)
- 1 bunch Mint Leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- 1½ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- ½ teaspoon Saffron (about 10 strands)
- ½ cup Milk
- 1½ tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- Take Chicken in a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients under "Chicken Marination" except for the Oil (Chilli Powder + Coriander Powder + Cumin Powder + Garam Masala Powder + Turmeric + Ginger Garlic Paste + Salt)
- Mix well and refrigerate it for 4 hours. If possible, refrigerate it over night for the best marination.
- Do this after the marination is completed and at least 1 hour before you start cooking.
- Wash the Basmati rice well until the water is clear. Take fresh water and soak the Basmati rice in the water for at least 45 minutes.
Curd Mixture for Chicken
- Once the Chicken is marinated, take the Chicken out and add 3 teaspoons of Oil and mix well. Keep this aside.
- Take the Curd in a bowl and add all the Whole Garam Masala spices listed under "Curd Mixture for Chicken".
- Add a little water (about ½ cup) and mix well.
Preparing the Chicken
- Take the marinated Chicken and spread it across the bottom of a Biryani Handi (or a heavy-bottomed Pan).
- Take the Curd mixture and spread it on top of the Chicken.
- Spread ½ of the fried Onions. Spread ½ of the Mint Leaves and Coriander Leaves on top of this and keep this aside.
- Take a separate pot for boiling the Rice and fill it with Water. Add Salt and 2 teaspoons of Oil to the Water and bring it to a Boil.
- Add the soaked Basmati Rice and cook the Rice until it is 90% cooked.
Preparing the Saffron Milk
- Boil the Milk and add the Saffron to the boiled milk and let it boil for 2 mins.
- Keep this aside for 15 minutes to allow the Saffron flavor and color into the Milk. Keep this aside
Cooking the Biryani
- Take the Handi with the Chicken mixture spread in it and spread ½ of the Cooked Rice on top of it.
- Spread the remaining Fried Onions, Mint Leaves and Coriander Leaves on top of the Rice.
- Spread the remaining Rice on top of this. Sprinkle the Saffron Milk on top and add the Ghee.
- Cover the Handi (Pan) tightly with Aluminium foil. Place a lid on it and put some heavy weight on the lid.
- Cook this on a High Flame for 7 minutes.
- Lower the flame to a medium flame and cook further for 15-20 mins. Switch off the stove and let the lid and aluminium foil stay for another 5-10 minutess to allow the Biryani to cook without a flame.
- If Saffron is not available, you can substitute it with 1/8 teaspoon of Turmeric boiled in Milk.
- You can also cover the Handi for the Dum Cooking with a Wheat Dough tightly wrapped across the lid.
- Serve hot with Mirchi Ka Salan, a Boiled Egg and a Cola.
- Garnish with Onion rinds, Lemon and fried Cashew nuts.
Excellent recipe. It turned out wonderfully well. Being in the US, we try to cook some food from our Hyderabad and this recipe gave us… Read more »