Chicken Chettinad is a classic Chicken recipe from the Kitchens of Chettinad (Tamil Nadu). It is a mildly fragrant Chicken gravy marinated in spices such as Poppy Seeds, Yogurt, Coconut, Red Chillies etc that is a delight on one’s palate.
Chicken Chettinad is a classic South Indian recipe that consists of chicken marinated in yogurt and spices made of red chillies, coconut and poppy seeds.
- Frying Pan
For Chicken Marination
- ½ Kg Chicken with bones
- 1 tbsp Curd (Yogurt)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ¼ teaspoon Chilli Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust as per taste)
Chettinad Masala Preparation
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 5 Nos Dry Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Pepper Corns
- 3 Nos. Green Cardamons
- 4 Nos. Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- ¼ cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Nos Tomatoes (medium sized)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 No Bay Leaf
- 1 No Large Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Salt (or adjust as per taste)
- Take the Chicken in a bowl. Add 1 Tbsp Curd + 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste + ¼ teaspoon Chilli Powder + ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric Powder + Salt as required. Mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and keep it aside to marinate for at least 2 hours.
Preparing the Chettinad Masala
- Take a Pan and dry roast Coriander Seeds + Dry Red Chillies until the Coriander seeds start giving a fragrant smell.
- Add Fennel Seeds + Cumin Seeds + Pepper Corns + Green Cardamons + Cloves + Cinnamon Stick and dry roast for some more time.
- Once a fragrant smell arises, add the Poppy Seeds. Take care to not burn the Poppy seeds and immediately toss all the ingredients and add the grated Coconut.
- Mix all the ingredients well and toss for a few seconds until the coconut gives out a fragrant smell.
- Turn off the stove and let the ingredients cool down to room temperature.
- Take this into a Blender, add a little water and grind to a smooth paste. Remove the paste from the Blender jar and keep it aside.
- Add the tomatoes to the same jar and grind them to make into a fine puree paste.
- Keep the Tomato puree aside too.
Cooking the Chicken
- Heat a Kadai (Pan) and heat 2 Tbsp of Oil.
- Add the Bay Leaf and the Onions and Saute until the Onions turn translucent and slightly brown.
- Add the marinated Chicken. Mix well and fry for 5 minutes on a high flame.
- Add the Tomato puree + Kashmiri Chilli Powder + Turmeric Powder + Salt.
- Mix well and fry until the Oil separates.
- Add the ground Chettinad Paste and 1½ sprig of the Curry Leaves.
- Mix well and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Pour 1¼ cup of warm water. Mix well and cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook on a low flame for 10 minutes or until the Chicken softens well and becomes tender. You can check with a fork.
- Add the remaining sprig of leaves 2 minutes before you turn off the stove.
- Turn off the stove and serve the Chicken Chettinad with hot steamed rice or rotis.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!