Think of Hyderabad and food is what would come to your mind first. And when it is Hyderabad food, the other notable mention, apart from Biryani is Chicken Kebabs or Tikkas. You will find many Kebabs here. But, the one kebab that’s juicy and succulent is the Chicken Malai Kebab or Chicken Malai Tikka. Malai is Cream in Hindi. Living up to it’s name, Chicken Malai Tikkas are juicy chicken pieces marinataed in cream, yogurt, chillies and spices.
Now, it is very easy to make Chicken Malai Tikka or Kebabs right at home without a lot of hassle. We have brought you this simple, easy recipe for making Chicken Malai Kebabs in an Air-Fryer. If you don’t have one, you can cook these on a grill or pan on the stove.
Check out the recipe below. If you do want to purchase an Air-Fryer, we have the link to shop as well.
Chicken Malai Tikka
- 5 tbsp Hung Curd
- 5 tbsp Whipped Cream
- 2 tbsp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 teaspoons Ginger + Garlic + Chilli Paste (Take 1" Ginger + 10 Garlic Cloves + 8 Green Chillies to make the paste)
- 2½ teaspoons Black Peppercorns (crushed)
- 1½ teaspoon Kasuri Methi
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoons Salt (adjust as per your taste)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 600 gms Boneless Chicken
Grilling the Tikka
- 4 tbsp Cornflour
- 2 teaspoons Chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp Olive oil (you can use normal vegetable oil too)
- 10 Nos. Bamboo Skewers
Marinating the Chicken
- Cut 600 gms of Boneless chicken into neat 1" cubes and keep aside. Do not add to mixing bowl right now.
- Take a mixing bowl and add 5 tbsp of Hung Curd (Yogurt)
- Add 5 tbsp of Whipped Cream
- Add 2 tbsp of grated Cheddar Cheese
- Add 3 teaspoons of Ginger + Garlic + Chilli Paste. To make the paste, add 1" Ginger, 10 Garlic cloves and about 6-8 Green chillies and add a little water and grind these into a paste.
- Add 2½ teaspoons of Black Crushed Peppercorns
- Add 1½ teaspoons of Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves)
- Add 2 teaspoons of Garam Masala powder
- Add 1 teaspoon of Salt. Adjust as per taste.
- Add 1 tbsp of Lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients well with a whisk to a thick marinate paste.
- Now, add the Chicken pieces and mix well so that all the pieces are covered well with the paste.
- Cover with a wrapping sheet and marinate for 2 hrs in the Refrigerator.
Grilling/ Baking the Chicken after Marination
- Once the marination is done, take the marinated chicken and add 4 tbsp of Cornflour, 2 teaspoons of Chilli flakes and 3 tbsp of Oil and mix well.
- Take the Bamboo skewers and thread the chicken pieces to the Bamboo skewers one by one and keep aside. Note: The Bamboo skewers should be immersed in water at least 45 minutes before you use. This will prevent the skewers from burning while you are grilling or baking.
- Now preheat the Air Fryer for 5 minutes at 180° C.
- Place the skewers into the Air Fryer basket making sure that there is enough space between each skewer.
- Put the basket back into the Air Fryer and air fry it for 15 minutes at 180° C. Make sure that you remove the basket mid way and turn over the chicken pieces to ensure even cooking all around.
- Garnish with Lemon rinds, Onions and coriander and serve with Mint chutney.
Want to cook on the Stove?
- In case, you do not have an Air Fryer and want to cook the Chicken Tiikka on a stove, take a Pan and rub it with a little oil. Place it on the stove and let it heat.
- Place the skewers with the Chicken pieces on the pan and cook it with a lid covered for a minute on high flame.
- Remove the lid and turn over the chicken pieces. Cover and cook on a low flame for another 4 minutes. Remove the lid and turn over the pieces again and cook again with the lid covered for another 4 minutes.
- Take a toothpick and make sure that the chicken is well cooked by piercing the chicken with the toothpick. Once, all the gravy on the chicken is dried out, you can remove to a plate and garnish with Lemon, Onion and chopped coriander.
- You can substitute Cheese with Almonds and Cashew if required.
- If you do not have Bamboo skewers, just grill them normally on the Pan or air fry the pieces in an Air Fryer.
- An Air Fryer uses almost no oil and is much healthier.
- 2 hrs Marination is the minimum. If you have time, marinate the chicken overnight for a much better juicy taste.