Check out this simple Indian Chicken Curry. A South Indian recipe that has tender chicken pieces cooked in yogurt and rich in spices.
This is a favorite Indian dish that is very easy for bachelors and families to cook in an easy-to-cook way and still doesn’t loose the yummy Indian taste. You can skip the marination process and still retain the same curry taste. Try it out once and we are sure that you would love this!
Simple Chicken Curry
- Kadai (Pan)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Nos Bay Leaves
- 4 Nos Cloves
- 2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 3 Nos Green Cardamon
- 1 cup Onions (finely chopped)
- 2 Nos Green Chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 Nos Tomatoes (medium sized) chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 8 Nos Cashew Nuts (soaked in water for a few minutes)
Cooking the Chicken
- 500 gms Chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
- ¼ cup Yogurt (Curd)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
Preparing the Gravy
- Take a Kadai (Deep bottomed pan) and heat 2 tbsp of Oil.
- Add 1 Bay Leaf + 4 Nos Cloves + 2" Cinnamon stick + 3 Nos Green Cardamons and sauté for a min.
- Add chopped Onions and chopped Green Chillies and sauté until the Onions turn golden brown.
- Add 1 tbsp of Ginger-Garlic paste and sauté until the sweet aroma of the Ginger-Garlic paste whiffs up.
- Add the chopped Tomato, ¼ teaspoon of Turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of Salt and mix well.
- Sauté until the tomatoes are mushy and the oil floats up.
- Turn off the flame and let this mixture cool to room temperature.
- Add this to a blender jar along with the soaked Cashews and blend to a paste.
- Keep the gravy paste aside.
Cooking the Chicken
- Heat 1 tbsp of Ghee in the same Kadai (Pan).
- Add the Chicken and fry until the Chicken turns white and pale.
- Add 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder + 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder + 1 teaspoon Coriander powder and mix well.
- Fry for a minute and add the chopped Coriander leaves.
- Mix well and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the prepared Gravy paste (that you had kept aside).
- Mix well and cook for 2 minutes on a medium flame.
- Cover and cook for 4 minutes on a low flame.
- Add ¼ cup of Yogurt (Curd) and cook with a closed lid for another 3 minutes.
- While the Chicken is cooking, heat a cup of water separately. Add the hot water to the curry. Add just enough water to make the curry into a thick paste.
- Cover and cook the Chicken curry on a low-medium flame until the chicken is soft and tender. You can use a fork or a tooth pick to check.
- At this stage, you can also taste the spice and salt level and adjust as per taste by adding Salt and Garam Masala.
- Turn off the stove and garnish with a little chopped Coriander leaves.
- Adding hot water instead of cold water will ensure that the chicken does not turn out hard and rubbery.
- You can use Coconut milk instead of water for a more flavored taste.